Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Getting Started - A Space for Tentative Writers

I fancy myself a writer. I have a writer's notebook full of lists, underdeveloped ideas, and brainstorms for future projects. I have Trello boards full of future research questions I'd like to answer and countless Google docs full of drafts of unpublished Blog posts. I love almost every stage of the writing process - brainstorming, drafting, revising - Oh! That's my favorite part! A chance to tinker and explore what's already there.  It's the publishing part that gives me pause. Who cares what I have to say, right?

And yet, when I talk about education with my colleagues, I get so excited and inspired and I think, Why aren't they writing? Why aren't they sharing? What they have to say is important. So, I thought I'd start an open blog and invite any other tentative writers publishers to share their thinking on this blog.

Amy Gorzynski @MsGorzo, a business education teacher who teaches digital literacy courses at Leyden, reminds me that any blog should have a purpose and an audience.  I hope this blog can serve as a space for educators, particularly Leyden educators, to share their learning process and learn from the learning process of others. The purpose of this blog will be to provide a space to document any learning process in which teachers engage. What are you learning? And how are you learning?

And with that, I (finally) click publish...




2 comments:

  1. I thought that today was a very effective day. I really liked the idea of using the ABCD method for when I plan my lessons. I mean, I knew about this type of process as a recent grad but the instructional meeting helped me plan ways to implement it into my planning. It also reaffirms my personal way of planning by doing "backwards planning" (starting with the end goal first). The ABCD method really promotes efficiency and accuracy that is knocking out standards and goals with one stone.

    The Mindset novel was also a very effective piece to the program. It provided a lot of positive insight and it really changed my way of thinking and that we need to have "growth" mindsets so they reflect on our students. The rounds and 3 levels method really gave us different perspectives on what difficulties other teachers are experiencing at that 1st and 2nd year experience and also their successes. It is obvious that all of our programs and what we actually do each day are so different. Through our collaboration, we all saw some common denominators like pairing students to develop positive social interactions, getting students to realize the importance of daily participation and much more.


    Overall, the instructional meeting today was very effective (the lunch was also fantastic, too). I am excited for the discussions that will come with the next meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michael! I I so enjoyed our conversations today and am glad you found them useful, too!

    ReplyDelete